WATCH: Emergency services attend Rockhampton gas leak
UPDATE 11AM: THE smell of natural gas hung thick in the air at Capri Villa, George St this morning as Rockhampton Fire and Rescue personnel worked to control a leak.
They were called to the incident about 9.45am, after a Jarrett Builders digger pierced the pipe about 9am.
"We hadn't even started digging, and it (the digger) must have just pierced the pipe," Jarrett Builders employee Connor McGarry said this morning.
"We could smell gas and thought it must be the kitchen, then realised it wasn't so we went and told them at the hotel."
Rockhampton Fire, Police and Ambulance Service personnel attended the scene, but no patients needed to be treated as a result of the leak, which was brought under control about 10.20am.
Rockhampton Fire station officer John Mathers said the reticulated gas system ran through the city, but all sources of ignition had been turned off when they arrived on scene to prevent an explosion.
"We were able to shut off the power to motels and any other ignition sources around the area," station officer Mathers explained.
"We were also able to monitor the gas and made a danger area, or what we call a hot zone and we are applying sprays to direct the gas away from any areas and keep the public safe.
"We have got the gas examiner, that part of our procedure when we get a call... he comes in and tries to help us shut down the source. Then the local gas company come to fix the hole in the pipe.
"Even though the wind is blowing and it might move out, it has nothing to ignite and get an explosion from.
"If the wind was blowing the other way, the risk is it could get caught under the building... so we have the hose going to blow the gas away from the building."
The Cabridge and Campbell St intersection blocked by a fire truck this morning to divert traffic away from the site for a short time this morning, but reopened about 10am.
There were no other traffic delays.
9.27AM: QUEENSLAND Ambulance Service personnel are assisting Fire and Emergency Services at the scene of a reported gas leak on George St, Rockhampton.
There are currently no patients being treated in relation to the incident.
QFES have advised they currently don't require any evacuation or traffic closures.