HELP AT HAND: The RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue chopper is often called to incidents on Great Keppel Island.
HELP AT HAND: The RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue chopper is often called to incidents on Great Keppel Island. Contributed

Jellyfish sting on GK Island

YEPPOON Coast Guard's efforts and diligence were proven once again this weekend as members undertook four rescue operations from Friday to Sunday afternoon.

At 6.20pm on Saturday, Queensland Ambulance Service received a call about a jellyfish sting at Great Keppel Island.

This is the second time in two weeks a person has been stung by a jellyfish off the coast.

A woman was stung by an irukandji off Great Keppel Island on February 25.

A RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue chopper was called to the scene about 3.10pm.

The woman had been swimming when she felt intense pain in her right foot.

She was stabilised by the critical care flight paramedic before being transferred to Rockhampton Hospital in a stable condition.

A four-year-old boy was also stung while swimming off Great Keppel Island on January 21.

He was stabilised on the scene by flight crew staff and flown to Rockhampton Hospital in a stable condition.

Freedom Fast Cats website states that on Great Keppel Island, jellyfish are few and far between year round, however they are most commonly seen during the warmer months from December to March.

A QAS representative said a man in his 30s was "stung in the rib cage area” and was suffering from pain.

Gormans Removals Rescue skipper James Fleming left shore at 7pm with an on-board ambulance officer and arrived at 7.35pm.

He said the man was on a "holiday break with his wife and friends”.

"The job was to get over there, get the ambulance over there and deal with the issue and get back to base,” Mr Fleming said.

"A number of people have been stung ... but others have been stung and not affected the same way he was.”

The patient was taken on board and provided with medical assistance during the return passage.

The rescue vessel arrived back at Yeppoon at 8.15pm and the patient was taken to Capricorn Coast Hospital.

The man was discharged on Sunday.

Yesterday afternoon, RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service went to the aid of a 65-year-old male tourist off Great Keppel Island after he fell on rocks at Putney Beach and injured himself.

The man was treated on board by a paramedic and doctor for a suspected fracture before being transported to Rockhampton Base Hospital in a stable condition.

On Friday, a request for assistance was received for a female whose yacht had broken down 800m off Leekes Beach, Great Keppel Island.

RMH Rescue skipper Mr Fleming departed the harbour at 2pm and arrived at 2.28pm to find the woman stranded in her yacht's tender.

The tender was towed back to the yacht at 2.55pm and the RMH Rescue returned to harbour at 3.20pm.

On Sunday morning, a 44-foot sloop sailing boat was heading north from Hervey Bay and required assistance to enter Rosslyn Bay Harbour as its battery had died and the engine couldn't start.

Mr Fleming attended the scene on Gormans Removals Rescue and provided the vessel with a battery pack before towing the yacht into harbour at 12.15pm when the engine failed to start.

On Sunday afternoon, Mr Fleming was again called to render assistance after a tri-hull powerboat sustained a damaged propeller and damaged bearing when it collided with rocks at Square Rocks.