STILL HURTING: Chris Weeks in the backyard where he was attacked by a neighbour's dog
STILL HURTING: Chris Weeks in the backyard where he was attacked by a neighbour's dog

Man mauled in his front yard

BANDAGES cover Chris Weeks' forearm and upper thigh - below them a skin graft and stitches lie from the multiple surgeries he has had since he was attacked by a pit bull.

The Rockhampton City man is sore but happy to be out of Rockhampton Hospital after spending two weeks there.

Mr Weeks has just has one question: "Why did it have to come to my arm being mauled for the council to act?"

"The reason I'm p***ed off is I believe they've neglected their duty of care," he said.

He is seeking an injury lawyer to be compensated.

The George St resident was working on a caravan at his property about 8pm on October 1 when he was attacked by a dangerous dog known to live in the neighbourhood.

Mr Weeks said he had complained to Rockhampton Regional Council when the pit bull attacked him previously and nothing was done.

His concern was this attack could have been fatal.

"What about if it was a kid playing in his own backyard?" he said.

The dog launched at him from the dark while he sat on a crate and if he had not raised his forearm it would have been much worse, according to Mr Weeks.

"This dog was going for my throat," he said.

Mr Weeks raised his arm to defend himself when the dog "took a chunk" and kept running.

The dog bite narrowly missed tendons but hit arteries - he has had six surgeries since the attack and he may still have to go back for more.

"I was lying at the bottom of the stairs yelling for help," he said.

Mr Weeks said he could have bled out if paramedics had not arrived so quickly.

"I'm in constant pain," he said.

"There was blood everywhere."

The council had received more than 10 complaints from different people about the dangerous dog before he was attacked, according to Mr Weeks.

"The council blokes said they knew about this dog before it left Gracemere (where it is believed to have lived previously)," he said.

Councillor Ellen Smith confirmed the council was aware of the dangerous dog.

"Council received a complaint about the dog prior to the attack on October 1, when Mr Weeks also highlighted there had been a number of previous attacks over a period of time," Cr Smith said.

"Shortly after investigating this complaint council officers tried to seize the dog, but officers aren't able to seize a dog without the owner's consent unless they have a warrant."

She said officers were in the process of applying to the Magistrates Court for a warrant when the latest attack took place.

"Following the attack, council seized the dog with the owner's consent, and following an investigation, the owner surrendered the dog to council," Cr Smith said.

"We understand these situations can be extremely terrifying for both the victim and the owner of the dog and cannot stress how important it is for dogs to be kept behind a secure fence."

Mr Weeks has been off work for a month and he said it could be another eight weeks before he returns.

As a construction worker he fears his injuries will adversely affect him.