My husband was almost killed by a Sunshine Coast restaurant
AN EXTREME case of salmonella poisoning has almost killed a visitor to the Sunshine Coast, with his wife demanding tougher food safety checks.
Victoria Point's Lionel Edwards first began feeling ill after eating at a Caloundra restaurant in February.
He was rushed to Redlands Hospital where he remained in critical care for two days.
He then began showing signs of renal failure, and was transferred to the intensive care unit at the Greenslopes Private Hospital, where he remained for 12 days.
"It was only through the incredible (hospital) care given to him there that he survived," Lionel's wife Joy Edwards said.
She said one of his lungs had collapsed, and his kidneys still weren't functioning properly.
Mrs Edwards reported the food poisoning to the Queensland Health Department, who then contacted the Sunshine Coast Council.
Queensland Health notified council of the suspected foodborne illness on April 26, about two months after the incident was reported to have taken place.
Council's rnvironmental health officers did inspect the restaurant for compliance with the Food Safety Standards.
A statement released by council said: "The substantial time-lag between the event and notification made investigating and finding evidence of the bacteria problematic.
"Queensland Health reported that they had not received any other similar complaints relating to this incident."