South Australia continues to grapple with the beginning stages of a second wave after its coronavirus cases jumped again.

There are now 20 cases linked to the Parafield family cluster with three cases being treated as active but yet to be confirmed by health authorities.

The family cluster includes three young children, one of which is a one-year-old-baby, Premier Steven Marshall confirmed this morning.

Overall the state recorded 18 new COVID-19 cases yesterday and one new case this morning, for a total of 35 active cases, including hotel quarantine cases.

Four of the 34 active cases are employees at the Anglicare Brompton Aged Care Home in Adelaide, which the CEO of Anglicare SA this morning described as his "worst nightmare".

All residents have so far tested negative however CEO Peter Sandeman said they would be tested again tomorrow and any close contacts were being isolated.

SA Health is continuing to study the genomic strains of each of the state's new cases, which will help them determine who caught the infection first.

A female cleaner in her 50s, working at one of Adelaide's medi-hotels named Peppers, is believed to have caught it first, later inadvertantly passing it onto their family and two unrelated hotel security guards.

While the results will be subject to further scrutiny, it comes after Pfizer announced its candidate was also 90 per cent effective, potentially giving the world two vaccine options to choose from. 


'Worst nightmare': Four aged care employees now positive

Four aged care employees - all from the same aged care home in Adelaide - have now tested positive to coronavirus.

Peter Sandeman, the CEO of AngliCare South Australia, told Today that all residents at the Brompton Aged Care Home had so far tested negative.

"We are in full PPE and we've been testing all the residents and I'm pleased to say all the residents have tested negative at this stage. We will retest tomorrow," Mr Sandeman said.

The two nurses who initially tested positive were a mother and daughter from the large Parafield family cluster.

Mr Sandeman told the program that two more staff from Brompton Aged Care Home were part of the cluster of 20 cases that has rocked Adelaide.
"Unfortunately two more staff have subsequently tested positive and are in medi-hotel and isolated and of course we're testing all staff as they turn up for work," he said.
"Four staff who have been working shifts have tested positive, that's correct."
Mr Sandeman described it as the "worst nightmare any aged care proprietor can face".

"The residents are holding up well. The staff are all caring for the residents but progressively, of course, we will have to replace staff as staff are assessed as a risk," he said.
South Australia's health department enforces a policy of immediately moving any aged care resident to hospital if they test positive for coronavirus.

"That's a major risk mitigation strategy that's in place in South Australia that wasn't elsewhere," Mr Sandeman said.
The Anglicare Bromptom Aged Care Home is a facility for homeless people, with Mr Sandeman saying there was a "great deal of affection and trust" between residents and staff.

Mr Sandeman said the staff were being "very strong" and "holding up considerably well".


South Australia confirms one new case, cluster grows to 20

Adelaide's Parafield cluster has grown again - with 20 cases now linked to South Australia's worst outbreak to date.

Speaking to ABC News Breakfast, South Australian Health Minister Stephen Wade confirmed the total of "confirmed and probable" cases is 20.

"That's 17 members of a family, two security guards, and one close contact of the family," Mr Wade said.

"The family obviously both shares households and has close contacts with each other. The two security guards worked at the hotel where one of the family members works, and likewise the close contact was also a fellow workmate."

Mr Wade said regular testing of anyone working at the state's medi-hotels had been introduced yesterday.

Medi-hotel workers were already required to declare if they had coronavirus symptoms daily however the state has now introduced regular seven day testing.


South Australia's hotel quarantine had 'just been given a gold tick'

South Australia's hotel quarantine program was seen as so successful by a federal government body that the state had just been asked to help Tasmania get theirs up to scratch.

Adelaide Vice President of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Chris Moy, told Today the state had been lauded as a great success.

"The hotel quarantine had just been given a gold tick really in South Australia, because of the high standards, and in fact because of that they have been asked to assist in Tasmania," Dr Moy said.

"In fact, the actual standard is very high. I think there may be still some mishaps and ultimately the big issue, it's an incredibly infectious condition.

"I think the risks of hotel quarantine are just not to be underestimated. I think over time we have realised that that is our biggest risk from people returning from


Outbreak exposes big flaw in Australia's hotel quarantine program

Adelaide's coronavirus outbreak - that started after a hotel quarantine cleaner accidentally contracted the illness - has exposed a worrying Australia-wide flaw in the program.

South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said they had now made it mandatory for anyone working in hotel quarantine to get a test every seven days.

Previously, Mr Marshall said anyone involved or working in hotel quarantine was required to fill out a daily declaration of if they had any virus symptoms - an Australia-wide rule.

The declaration system had worked well in Australia so far however issues arose after the cleaner showed no symptoms.

This meant SA Health wasn't alerted to the outbreak until the mother of the cleaner, a woman in her 80s, started suffering from coronavirus so severely she was taken to hospital on Friday night.

Mr Marshall said he was "far less stressed" than he was yesterday but reminded the state there were still thousands of tests to be processed.

"We had a very big surge yesterday up to 17 people in a very short period of time. We did thousands and thousands of tests yesterday and for that, we are very grateful for the people of South Australia for getting and doing that testing," he told Sunrise.

The premier said the new case, announced this morning, "looks like" a close contact of the original 15 family members.

"There is still a long way to go. There are thousands of tests to still process and interpret, but we're in a lot better situation today than what we woke up to yesterday."


South Australia's cluster grows to 17

South Australia's cluster has gone from bad to worse with 17 cases now tied to the family outbreak.

Speaking to Adelaide's 5AA radio this morning, chief public health officer Dr Nicole Spurrier confirmed the Parafield cluster had grown.

Hungry Jacks Port Adelaide has also been closed.

Dr Spurrier described the outbreak as "very serious".


All of South Australia's current virus warnings

South Australian health authorities are racing to squash its worst coronavirus cluster after four people tested positive yesterday and four more from the same family started showing symptoms.

Dozens of people have been asked to self-isolate for two weeks while other venues and places have issued warnings to be aware for symptoms.

Emergency Department at Lyell McEwin Hospital between 5:30pm Friday 13 November and 4:00am Saturday 14 November: Health authorities are in the process of contacting everyone who was there to self-isolate immediately. Around 90 staff and patients will isolate for the next two weeks. SA Health has advised anyone who was in emergency to self-isolate immediately, even if they haven't heard from health authorities yet.
Yatala Labour Prison:
Prisoners are being tested after an employee, a close contact of the family cluster, tested positive late yesterday
Parafield Plaza Supermarket - Thursday November 12 - Between 10:30am and 11:30am: Anyone who visited the supermarket in that hour does not have to self-isolate but has been advised to monitor for symptoms and immediately get tested and isolate if they appear.
Mawson Lakes Primary School: SA Health last night confirmed it was closing the school, in Adelaide's north, out of "an abundance of caution". The school will stay closed for at least 24 hours after a student was a confirmed close contact of a positive case.

llegal beach party shut down by cops

Victoria Police have swarmed an illegal beach party after dozens of people were spotted congregating in south-east Melbourne.

Footage from the party showed a massive crowd bunching together on the sand at the secluded Black Rock beach.

Nobody in the crowd appeared to be wearing masks and most of the revellers were dressed in shorts or bikinis as they danced and drank.

Victoria Police attended and told the party to moev along however no fines were issued.

Melburnians are currently restricted to public gatherings of 10 people - and masks are mandatory.

Under Victoria's current restriction roadmap, up to 50 people will be allowed to gather outdoors from November 22.

Masks will likely still be required however the blanket mask mandate is up for discussion.

South Australians forced to quarantine upon entry to Western Australia

Passengers flying into Perth from Adelaide yesterday received a shock on landing after being told to either adhere to strict new coronavirus measures or fly back home.

Western Australia immediately imposed new coronavirus measures for South Australia after an emergency meeting between WA's police commisisoner, premier and chief health officer on Sunday.

Anyone arriving in Perth from South Australia will now need to be tested for COVID-19 and must self-quarantine for 14 days.

The new measures for South Australia are equal to those required for New South Wales and Victoria.
So abrupt were the new measures, one Qantas flight was mid-air when the measures were introduced and passengers were given the news from health officials at the airport upon landing.

Meanwhile, passengers waiting for another flight from Adelaide to Perth at the airport were notified before departure and were given the option to disembark.

Fears hundreds exposed to mystery Adelaide cluster

There are fears hundreds of people have been exposed to coronavirus after a cluster in Adelaide - South Australia's worst to date - grew again.

A family with members working in hotel quarantine, aged and health care and a large prison, made up three of the four coronavirus cases recorded yesterday.
A woman in her 80s tested positive at the Lyell McEwin Hospital emergency department yesterday.

Two of the woman's close contacts - a woman in her 50s and a man in his 60s - also tested positive yesterday. One of the infected people is the elderly woman's child.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said one of them worked in Adelaide's CBD at one of the state's medi-hotels - where returned travellers quarantine for two weeks.

Four more members of the same family are showing symptoms, triggering warnings across Adelaide's north about potential exposure.

Another close contact from the family also tested positive late on Sunday with SA Correctional Services chief executive David Brown confirming an employee at Yatala Labour Prison in Adelaide's northern suburbs had tested positive.

The cluster, which will likely grow to eight cases today, is South Australia's worst since the pandemic began.

The state's last case of unknown community transmission was more than seven months ago - on April 15.

The outbreak triggered warnings and closures across Adelaide with Mawson Lakes primary and preschool shut down for at least 24 hours after a student was confirmed to be a close contact of a confirmed case.

South Australian passengers were also hit with a two week quarantine mandate after landing in Western Australia with the government ordering them to either return home or self-isolate for a fortnight.

Originally published as Mystery cluster to double in size today