Former Bundaberg surgeon Jayant Patel (left) leaves the court with barrister Kenneth Fleming.
Former Bundaberg surgeon Jayant Patel (left) leaves the court with barrister Kenneth Fleming.

Court hears Patel's misdiagnosis may not have occurred

A DOCTOR who treated Mervyn Morris before he died, following an operation performed by Dr Jayant Patel, found no trace of radiation proctitis.

This is despite allegations that Dr Patel was criminally negligent when he operated on and misdiagnosed Mr Morris with a condition other than proctitis (rectum inflammation resulting from a high-dose radiation treatment).

Dr Patel is on trial in the Supreme Court after pleading not guilty to unlawfully killing Mr Morris, 75, at Bundaberg Base Hospital in 2003.

The Crown alleges Dr Patel should have recognised Mr Morris was suffering from radiation proctitis when he was admitted to hospital with rectal bleeding.

Instead, Dr Patel removed part of Mr Morris's sigmoid colon in an attempt to stop the bleed.

The jury heard details on Tuesday regarding Mr Morris's extensive health history.

Mr Morris was diagnosed with prostate cancer in the 90's and underwent radiation treatment.

Dr Paul Allin saw Mr Morris in 2001and 2002 and confirmed he found no evidence of radiation proctitis.

Defence counsel Paul Smith asked Dr Allin whether he was aware Mr Morris had undergone radiation.

"Yes," he replied.

Mr Smith put it to Dr Allin that radiation proctitis was painful and something patients complained about.

The doctor agreed with Mr Smith and said patients experienced "fresh bleeding from the rectum" and felt pain when passing urine or stools.

Bundaberg urologist Dr Richard Marsden also treated Mr Morris following his prostate cancer diagnosis.

The court heard Mr Morris experienced some bleeding in his urinary tract.

Dr Marsden confirmed the symptom could be linked to bowel problems.

Mr Morris died three weeks after Dr Patel removed part of his colon after diagnosing him with diverticulitis.

Tests on the removed colon later found there was no diverticulitis, the court heard on Tuesday.

The trial continues.