Private school boys in 'prescription meds' overdose

 

PARAMEDICS have rushed to a suspected drug overdose at a Gold Coast private school that was the scene of a mass overdose last year.

The two 15-year-old male students at St Stephens College at Upper Coomera are feared to have taken a liquid morphine-type substance, possibly a type of back pain medication.

Senior paramedic Angela Potts said the two boys had presented to the school nurses with suspected drug overdose symptoms.

"They've alerted us, we've found that they (the students) have potentially ingested a substance," she said.

"Both boys have been found to be stable with their vital signs and have been transported to hospital."

One of the boys was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital and the other to Pindara Private.

School principal Jamie Dorrington was unavailable to comment.

Ms Potts said: "Drugs of any description can be dangerous, especially in youth."

In a statement posted on the school's Facebook site, headmaster Jamie Dorrington said a senior student had taken some prescription medication belonging to a parent.

"The medicine made him vomit," Mr Dorrington wrote.

"He was attended by the College nurse and, as a precaution, an ambulance was called. We have been advised that the boy will be fine.

"A friend of the boy may also have taken some of the medicine and we have taken steps to reassure ourselves and their parents that both boys are fine.

"Many of you will be aware that the media have already jumped on this story and tried to make links with events from last year. I can assure you that these two events are not related."

Some parents expressed relief the students were OK but others slammed the boys.

"They obviously are pretty stupid," one posted on the Saint Stephen's Facebook page.

"It's just not really respectful not only to themselves & their parents but to the school and it's rules! If they have to take their parents drugs, do it at home and let the parents deal with them. Not fair, totally selfish children!"

Another said students had just had a 'big drugs talk' last week 'and they are all aware after last year's episode (mass overdose)'.

"These kids are all almost 16, I don't get the part about taking drugs AT school, what's with that????"

The Child Protection Investigation Unit is heading to the school to investigate the circumstances that led to the suspected overdose.

It is believed one of the boys may have brought a type of back pain medication to the school, with both boys consuming it this morning.

It's understood they may have told a teacher at the school when they started to become ill from taking the medicine, with both boys thought to have been quite ill at the time.

Saint Stephens was the scene of a mass overdose in February last year when seven students took the Russian designer drug Phenibut.

Four of the students were left in a critical condition but made a full recovery.

The seven students involved in that overdose were later expelled from the school, including the son of a prominent Gold Coast businessman.

Police statement from the 2018 incident: