IN MEMORY: Wayne Cameron died doing what he loved.
IN MEMORY: Wayne Cameron died doing what he loved. Contributed

Snake victim’s wife sets the record straight

JENNY Cameron wants to set the record straight about what exactly happened in her husband's final hours, after a fatal encounter with a taipan earlier this week.

Mrs Cameron was by her husband Wayne's side from the beginning to the end and witnessed everything her husband went through.

She was out on a job with Wayne, 52 when he was grazed, not bitten, by the taipan.

Mrs Cameron wanted to make it clear she was the one who drove Wayne to the hospital.

"He didn't drive, I drove, I did the first aid on him including the sling because it (the graze) wasn't on his arm, it was on his hand," she said. "He didn't go to the hospital at 5.20pm and die at 5.45pm; he actually went to the hospital at 3.45pm."

Mrs Cameron confirmed the snake was definitely a taipan and said her husband double checked the type of snake after she performed first aid on him.

"Wayne took it (the snake) out of the bag again once he had his first aid on and had a good look so he could identify it," she said.

"The snake was let go, it was not killed or anything like that."

Mrs Cameron said her husband kept his sense of humour right until the end, even in hospital.

"Wayne was a nurse as well and when he was in there he was being cheeky to nurses because he knew half of them."

"He was conscious, knew what he was doing and the hospital didn't do anything wrong."

"People are saying they shouldn't have taken the bandage off but for crying out loud you've got to take the bandage off some bloody time... he didn't show symptoms until 10 minutes after they took the bandage off."

Wayne also had underlying medical problems which may have contributed to his death.

"He wasn't in the strongest of health at the time and they didn't give him the anti-venin until he started to show symptoms."

"When he went downhill he started to fit as well and that's when they took us outside and we watched from the other side of the corridor, they (hospital staff) did nothing wrong."

Mrs Cameron and her family wanted to stress, if you get bitten by a snake to not personally drive yourself to the hospital but rather call and ambulance or have someone else drive.

The local woman and mum-of-two just wanted to make sure her husbands' memory was remembered correctly.

"At least he went out doing what he loved, he doesn't blame the snake because it's just doing what a snake does."