ULTIMATE GUIDE: Events to watch, road closures for Aussies
Sunshine Coast beaches will be transformed into lively competitive hubs as almost 6000 athletes contest the week-long Aussies.
A total of 315 surf clubs from across the country will come together to compete in more than 480 beach and ocean events across Maroochydore, Alexandra Headland and Mooloolaba beaches at the Australian Surf Life Saving Championships from Friday.
See below for a list of road and car park closures.
The event will run from April 16-24.
First to compete will be the U14 and U15 athletes.
With club pride on the line and young guns on the rise - the junior athletes are keen to claim their slice of Aussies history.
Saturday's beach events at Mooloolaba begin at 7am with the young athletes competing in 2km runs. Flags will start from 4.30pm.
Competitors aged from 30 to 75 will also hit the water at Mooloolaba on Saturday with the masters open swim events starting from 8am.
At Maroochydore on Saturday the action starts from 8.30am with board relays, surf teams and board rescues.
Events will also be live streamed via Surf Life Saving Australia Facebook page.
Alexandra Headland Surf Club general manager Ashley Robinson expected almost 10,000 people to visit the region as families, friends and officials join the plethora of competing athletes.
"It'll be great for the economy of the Sunshine Coast," Robinson said.
"You've got 6000 athletes coming and you can imagine about 4000 are entourage coming from outside the Coast."
With the influx of people and infrastructure required to run the event, a number of roads and car parks will be affected.
Unlike the 2016 Aussies on the Coast, Robinson was pleased Alex Surf Club's car parks would remain open to the general public.
Changed traffic conditions will be in place between Maroochydore and Alexandra Headland from 6am Friday until 5pm on Sunday, April 24.
- Alexandra Parade, between Memorial Avenue and Melrose Parade, Maroochydore - No Access to Alexandra Parade, local traffic only
- Memorial Avenue, between Sixth Avenue and Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore - No Access to Alexandra Parade, local traffic only
- Beach Parade, between Sixth Avenue and Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore - No Access to Alexandra Parade
- Kingsford-Smith Drive, between Sixth Avenue and Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore - No Access to Alexandra Parade
- Melrose Parade, between Sixth Avenue and Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore - No Access to Alexandra Parade, local traffic only
IMPACTED CAR PARKS
- Alexandra Parade, no on-street parking
- Aerodrome Road, changed carparking arrangements
PUBLIC CAR PARK CLOSURES
- Maroochydore Beach Car Park (Beach Access 141 to 143), Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore
- Maroochydore Surf life Saving Club Car Park, Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore
- Pierce Park Car Park, Alexandra Parade, Maroochydore
- Mooloolaba Surf Life Saving Club Car Park (south east corner only), Mooloolaba
OPEN CAR PARKS
- Middle street parking - Beach Parade, Maroochydore
- Alexandra Headland Surf Life Saving Club - north and south of the club
- Park n Go Mooloolaba Central - parkngo.com.au